History of R & J DeCoite Pty Ltd
John DeCoite commenced as a Blacksmith and Farrier in Traralgon in 1886.
His son Jack DeCoite also a Blacksmith and Farrier worked for other blacksmiths before purchasing his first business in Ferntree Gully in 1924.
Then in 1944 he purchased the site on the corner of Burwood Highway and Ferntree Gully Road and was joined in the business by his two sons Robert (Bob) and John when they returned from the war having served in the navy.
Thus commenced the name R & J DeCoite Pty Ltd. The business continued to grow and move with the times. From the early beginnings as farriers and wheel wrights, they commenced to build truck bodies for local businesses (this was in the days that trucks only came with motor cabin and chassis and all bodies were then added). They supplied steel to local builders, farmers and businesses as needed. They built and repaired farm machinery for local market gardeners and started to build wrought iron for the growing housing expansion in the Ferntree Gully area.
In 1975 the business moved down Burwood Highway to its present site.
David DeCoite, Bobs youngest son joined the business the same year and David who is a qualified blacksmith continues to work as a blacksmith repairing and sharpening implements as required and turning out creative and eye catching wrought iron. David was later joined at the business by sister Richelle and later brother Neil, along with long time employee Colin.